13 Aralık 2012 Perşembe

Will/Be going to



Going to or will
When we want to talk about future facts or things we believe to be true about the future, we use 'will'.
  • The President will serve for four years.
  • The boss won't be very happy.
  • I'm sure you'll like her.
  • I'm certain he'll do a good job.
If we are not so certain about the future, we use 'will' with expressions such as 'probably', 'possibly', 'I think', 'I hope'.
  • I hope you'll visit me in my home one day.
  • She'll probably be a great success.
  • I'll possibly come but I may not get back in time.
  • I think we'll get on well.
If you are making a future prediction based on evidence in the present situation, use 'going to'.
  • Not a cloud in the sky. It's going to be another warm day.
  • Look at the queue. We're not going to get in for hours.
  • The traffic is terrible. We're going to miss our flight.
  • Be careful! You're going to spill your coffee.
At the moment of making a decision, use 'will'. Once you have made the decision, talk about it using 'going to'.
  • I'll call Jenny to let her know. Sarah, I need Jenny's number. I'm going to call her about the meeting.
  • I'll come and have a drink with you but I must let Harry know. Harry, I'm going to have a drink with Simon.

Exercises 


1. 
Mark: What are you doing with those scissors? 
Beth: I (cut)  that picture of the ocean out of the travel magazine. 
Mark: What (you, do)  with it? 
Beth: I (paint)  a watercolor of the ocean for my art class, and I thought I could use this photograph as a model. 

2. 
Mark: (you, do)  me a favor, Sam? 
Sam: Sure, what do you want me to do? 
Mark: I (change)  the broken light bulb in the lamp above the dining room table. I need someone to hold the ladder for me while I am up there. 
Sam: No problem, I (hold)  it for you. 

3. 
Gina: Where are you going? 
Ted: I (go)  to the store to pick up some groceries. 
Gina: What (you, get) ? 
Ted: I (buy)  some milk, some bread, and some coffee. 

4. 
John: Wow, it's freezing out there. 
Jane: I (make)  some coffee to warm us up. Do you want a piece of pie as well? 
John: Coffee sounds great! But I (have)  dinner with some friends later, so I'd better skip the pie.
Jane: I (go)  to dinner tonight too, but I'm having a piece of pie anyway. 

5. 
Frank: I heard you're taking a Spanish class at the community college. 
Tom: Yeah, I (go)  to Guatemala next spring and I thought knowing a little Spanish would make the trip easier. 
Frank: I (visit)  my brother in Marseilles next year. Maybe I should take a French class. 
Tom: I have a course catalog in the other room. I (go)  get it, and we can see whether or not they're offering a French course next semester.


Put in the verbs in brackets into the gap. Use will-future or going to-future.

Example: I hope, that the sun ________ tomorrow. (to shine)

Answer: I hope, that the sun will shine tomorrow.
1) Philipp  15 next Wednesday. (to be)
2) They  a new computer. (to get)
3) I think, my mother  this CD. (to like)
4) Paul's sister  a baby. (to have)
5) They  at about 4 in the afternoon. (to arrive)
6) Just a moment. I  you with the bags. (to help)
7) In 2020 people  more hybrid cars. (to buy)
8) Marvin  a party next week. (to throw)
9) We  to Venice in June. (to fly)
10) Look at the clouds! It  soon. (to rain)
Answers:
1) Philipp will be 15 next Wednesday.
2) They are going to get a new computer.
3) I think, my mother will like this CD.
4) Paul's sister is going to have a baby.
5) They will arrive at about 4 in the afternoon.
6) Just a moment. I will help you with the bags.
7) In 2020 people will buy more hybrid cars.
8) Marvin is going to throw a party next week.
9) We will fly to Venice in June.
10) Look at the clouds! It is going to rain soon.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder