14 Mart 2013 Perşembe

Present Perfect Simple – Present Perfect Progressive


Form

Present Perfect SimplePresent Perfect Progressive
irregular verbs: form of 'have' + 3rd column of irregular verbs
Example:
I / you / we / they have spoken
he / she / it has spoken
regular verbs: form of 'have' + infinitive + ed
Example:
I / you / we / they have worked
he / she / it has worked
form of 'have' + been + verb + ing
 
Example:
I / you / we / they have been speaking
he / she / it has been speaking

Result or duration?

Do you want to express what has happened so far or how long an action has been going on yet?
Present Perfect SimplePresent Perfect Progressive
Result (what / how much / how often)
I have written 5 letters. / I have been to London twice.
Duration (how long)
I have been writing for an hour.

Certain verbs

The following verbs are usually only used in Present Perfect Simple (not in the progressive form).
  • state: be, have (for possession only)
    Example: We have been on holiday for two weeks.
  • senses: feel, hear, see, smell, taste, touch
    Example: He has touched the painting.
  • brain work: believe, know, think, understand
    Example: I have known him for 3 years.

    Exercise 1

    Put the verbs into the correct tense (Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Progressive).
    1. A: (you / play / ever)  tennis?
    2. B: I (play / only)  tennis once or twice. And you?
    3. A: I (learn)  tennis for two years.
    4. B: (you / take)  part in any competitions yet?
    5. A: I (participate)  in four contests this year.
    6. B: (you / win)  any prizes so far?
    7. A: No, I (win / not)  anything yet. I'm not that good yet. (you / enter / ever)  a contest?
    8. B: I (swim)  for seven years and I (receive / already)  some trophies.


    Exercise 2

    Use the verbs in Present Perfect Progressive, if possible. If it is not possible, use the Present Perfect Simple.
    1. We (know)  them for 15 years.
    2. They (watch)  TV for 3 hours.
    3. He (have)  this car for 20 years.
    4. We (work)  for 7 hours without a break.
    5. How long (you / learn)  English?
    6. Mr Smith (be)  in hospital for 5 days.
    7. Steven (hear)  a mouse squeak all night.
    8. (you / see)  Brona?
    9. She (prepare)  dinner for two hours.
    10. Don't worry, they (touch / not)  your gameboy.

1 yorum:

  1. Exercise 1
    Put the verbs into the correct tense (Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Progressive).

    A: Have you ever played tennis?
    B: I have only played tennis once or twice. And you?
    A: I have been learning tennis for two years.
    B: Have you taken part in any competitions yet?
    A: I have participated in four contests this year.
    B: Have you won any prizes so far?
    A: No, I have not won anything yet. I'm not that good yet. Have you ever entered a contest?
    B: I have been swimming for seven years and I have already received some trophies.

    Exercise 2
    Use the verbs in Present Perfect Progressive, if possible. If it is not possible, use the Present Perfect Simple.

    We have known them for 15 years.
    They have been watching TV for 3 hours.
    He has had this car for 20 years.
    We have been working for 7 hours without a break.
    How long have you been learning English?
    Mr Smith has been in hospital for 5 days.
    Steven has heard a mouse squeak all night.
    Have you seen Brona?
    She has been preparing dinner for two hours.
    Don't worry, they have not touched your gameboy.

    YanıtlaSil